PPL and PRS Licence Fees

PPL (Phonographic Performance Ltd) and PRS for Music  (Performing Rights Society) are two separate independent not for profit companies. Both organisations license the use of music and collect royalties for the music industry, but each represents different rights-holders and has separate licences, terms and conditions.

  • PPL collects and distributes money on behalf of performers and record companies for the use of their recorded music.
  • PRS for Music collects and distributes money on behalf of songwriters, composers and music publishers, for the use of their musical compositions and lyrics.

The law protects music rights in different ways; this means that businesses and organisations playing recorded music in public (whether live or via CDs, radio/TV broadcasts, background music systems or other sources) will usually need to obtain a licence from both PPL and PRS for Music.

There are several different tariffs depending on the type of club and PRS/PPL have their own designations. They have a cheaper joint licence which is for “amateur sports clubs” whose constitutions mirror those of a CASC (Community Amateur Sports’ Club) and details are available here at www.ppluk.com/asc.

If you do not fulfil PRS/PPL’s “amateur sports club” conditions but are a “not for profit members’ club” then these are the relevant PRS and PPL Tariffs.

For Proprietary Clubs this is the PRS Tariff with PPL1 and/or PPL2 also required.

Both PRS & PPL have modified their tariffs recently and some clubs have received large hikes in their fees. This is because they have created a new price tariff for “amateur sports clubs” and increased the old “not for profit” tariff. PRS are, however, bound by the Copyright Tribunal to record and report to them feedback from “amateur sports clubs” with regard to their new tariff and further details can be found on the gov.uk website in section 3 of the document.

There appears to be no such recourse for clubs who are not “amateur sports clubs” to comment on the increase in their tariff but communicating direct with the Copyright Tribunal or the local MP may be of benefit.

It is worth checking carefully that you are on the correct tariff as the differences can be substantial, also if you are paying for services you do not need then this can also have a huge impact on the costs.

Finally, please be aware of several scams where individuals, and/or communications, demanding payment purport to be from PRS, PPL and even the Metropolitan Police. They come complete with very believable ID’s & logos therefore care should be taken before payments are made to any of these organisations.


More from Industry